OKC grandmother arrested after child swallows PCP

OKC grandmother arrested after child swallows PCP

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK (KSWO)- An Oklahoma City woman is behind bars this morning after being accused of allowing her grandson to swallow some PCP.

They say the child grabbed a vial of PCP that was in the home and swallowed it. It's unclear how much the boy ate, but it was enough to send him into unconsciousness and make him unresponsive.

Another relative who was in the apartment at the time immediately called for help, which neighbors credit for saving the child's life.

"The ambulance came.  They laid him on the ground and they were stuffing tubes down his mouth and he wasn't like really moving or responding or nothing… His body was real limp when they brought him out like his arms were just swinging and his head was back and his eyes, he wasn't blinking so we all actually thought that he was dead," said Amari Hopgood, a nearby neighbor.

The boy was rushed to the hospital, where he is now recovering. His family says he is walking and eating normally, and he's expected to recover.

The grandmother has been arrested on charges of child endangerment and possession of a dangerous substance.

Copyright 2017 KSWO. All rights reserved.